Thought I would join the realms of muttering.
Is it just me who didn’t know there was anything wrong with cycling along a cycle path?
Last week as my sister and I were cycling from Newport to Cowes we could see in the distance three people and a dog blocking the entire width of the cycle path. they could see us coming from a fair distance aways and one of the people in their group moved slightly aside so we could pass didn’t try and move their dog, so we continued cycling as the dog was, at this point to the side of the cycle track. We are at this point cycling incredibly slowly so we can make sure we do not run over their do they are not controlling, just as Ruth was cycling through the people the dog runs right in front of her (may i just point at this point the dog was absolutely fine) There was no way Ruth could have stopped to avoid the dog. We did the “oh sorry” thing but then the dog owner started throwing abuse at us saying. “oh you are so stupid, bloomin’ cyclists” I’m sorry but I was VERY annoyed, and I think if i’d have stopped for a few seconds longer I would’ve started yelling things at her (luckily i had already carried on)
- They should’ve brought their dog to them when they saw we were coming
- The dog was no where near the tiny bit of path they’d left for us to get past
- What were they doing taking up the entire cycle path in the first place
- I know the cycle path is a “multi use” path but it wouldn’t be there without the cyclists. so excuse me I don’t think there’s anything wrong with us “bloomin’ cyclists” using the cycle path thank you very much!
- the only way we could have possibly avoided this persons dog was if we had got off our bikes walked passed the people and then got back on, which I think is an inconvenience we shouldn’t have to suffer!
I have absolutely no problem with pedestrians using the cycle path and I also don’t have a problem with dog walkers using it, but we try and show as much respect as possible to the people using the cycle path so it would be nice if it was returned, as the party of people could have easily avoided the situation and removed their dog. There really is nothing wrong with cyclists Cycling on a Cycle path.